Minutes from the June 29, 2017 regular board meeting
TOWNSHIP OF HOLLIS ~ COUNTY OF PEORIA ~ STATE OF ILLINOIS
MINUTES ~ REGULAR MONTHLY BOARD AUDIT MEETING
THURSDAY, JUNE 29TH , 2017 @ 7:30 P.M.
After the Clerk led the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag @ 7:30 P.M. the Supervisor called the meeting to order at the Hollis Town Hall, 6430 W. Wheeler Road, Mapleton, Illinois 61547-9615.
Board Members Present for Roll Call:
Supervisor William J. Gerdes; Clerk Cheryl A. Archer; Trustees: James E. Bailey,
Brian B. Fengel, Maryann S. Morrison and Rich D. Murray.
The Supervisor announced a quorum was present.
The Road Commissioner Dennis R. Beckman attended this meeting. The Tax Assessor Alice B. Dailey was not available.
There were no visitors. There were no corrections or additions to the agenda.
APPROVE MINUTES of Previous Meetings:
1. Prior to tonight’s meeting, copies of the May 25, 2017 Minutes from the Regular Monthly Meeting were distributed to Board Members for their review.
MOTION to accept the Minutes as presented made by Murray; second Morrison. The motion
passed unanimously with all ayes.
AUDIT CURRENT EXPENDITURES, Investments, Transfer of Funds, Budget Line Item Transfers:
1. MOTION to accept for payment all Town Fund Invoices as presented to the Board on the Disbursement Summary June 29, 2017 in the amount of $ 8,015.40
Motion Fengel; second Murray. The motion passed with all ayes on a roll call vote.
2. MOTION to accept for payment all General Assistance Invoices as presented to the Board on the Disbursement Summary June 29, 2017 in the amount of $ 1,558.00
Motion Bailey; second Fengel. The motion passed with all ayes on a roll call vote.
3. MOTION to accept for payment all Road & Bridge Fund Invoices as presented to the Board on the Disbursement Summary June 29, 2017 in the amount of $ 56,881.95
Motion Fengel; second Morrison. The motion passed with all ayes on a roll call vote.
3/a: Road & Bridge Fund is paying the final balance due July 18, 2017 on the
2011 John Deere 310SJ Tractor in the amount of $_36,479.12_/ payable to Merchants Bank Equipment Finance. This final payment appears on today’s June 29th Board Audit Report.
TOWN BUSINESS ~ Supervisor:
Supervisor Gerdes attended a meeting in Hanna City where a discussion occurred about finding ideas to help Townships and Peoria County create a more attractive atmosphere for businesses.
Any information regarding this topic will be presented as it is available.
CLERK BUSINESS / Business & Comments:
Within 30 days after the adoption of the Town and Road District Budget & Appropriations Ordinances, which occurred earlier this evening, the Hollis Town Clerk will file them with the Peoria County Clerk.
Copies of each Budget will be date stamped by the Peoria County Clerk and will be retained in their office. Additional copies of each Budget will be date stamped by the Peoria County Clerk and will be returned to our offices to be kept as a permanent record in our files to verify our filing requirement.
ROAD BUSINESS ~ Highway Commissioner:
1. Regarding the final payment on the 2011 John Deere 310SJ Tractor - $ 36,479.12 which may be found in this month’s Board Audit Expenses in the Road & Bridge file:
The previous 5 payments of $8,500. have all been made from the Equipment & Building Fund ~ this tractor is listed in the Equipment & Building Fund’s Annual Report which is presented each year as part of the Road Commissioner’s Annual Report.
However, at this time the cash balance in the Equipment & Building Fund is only $27,672.55; therefore, Road & Bridge Funds were used to make this final payment due and it is duly noted that Equipment & Building Fund will reimburse the Road & Bridge Fund within this calendar year to keep this machine fully funded by the Equipment & Building Fund.
When Equipment & Building Funds are available, the reimbursement to Road & Bridge Fund will be noted as a Motion to indicate Board Approval of the transfer of funds from Equipment & Building to Road & Bridge Fund.
2. The Road Commissioner spoke about the Lancaster Road Bridge which has been closed for many months. This bridge closing has had an adverse effect on our Township Roads – creating more fast traffic and deterioration of our road surfaces. Work has been stopped on this bridge while waiting for the Water Company to replace some water lines in this area before bridge work can continue.
3. Lots of time has been spent and materials have been applied to our township roads due to oil bleeding through causing tacky surfaces – dragging oil into resident driveways - & sticking to shoes etc.
4. Peoria County Highway Department Motor Fuel Tax: no update received for June 2017.
TRUSTEES/ Information / Business: Trustee Bailey offered the following information:
1. The Freedom of Information Act Law states that all newly elected officials must contact the Illinois Attorney General’s Office on-line to take the FOIA Training within 90 days after taking the Oath of Office. A Certificate of Completion will be issued on-line.
As our Hollis Township appointed FOIA Officer, Cheryl Archer will need to take different training which will give her a different Certificate of Completion as the FOIA Officer.
2. The Open Meetings Act training is also required for all newly elected officials. A Certificate of Completion will be issued on-line. Please print your Certificate and give it to our Administrative Assistant.
3. All newly elected officials will strive to complete this training prior to our July monthly meeting. It is not necessary for re-elected officials to take this training again. The Certificates of Completion will be kept as permanent records at the Hollis Township office.
OLD UNFINISHED BUSINESS:
In recent months, our Administrative Assistant has been asked to create a JOB DESCRIPTION
to clarify the responsibilities handled by the individual in this position.
December 16, 1996, A JOB TITLE Description for the Secretary to the Hollis Township Board was adopted when hiring our Secretary; the job title has been changed to Administrative Assistant.
A “draft copy” of an up-dated Job Description for the Administrative Assistant’s position was presented to Board Members for their review. A final copy of the Job Description will be adopted by the Township Board at a meeting in the near future.
It is the intention of the current Administrative Assistant to create a detailed operating manual
for this position. The Manual is expected to be completed within 6-9 months and will be kept as a permanent record for the Township.
All Townships are required to undergo a full CPA AUDIT at the end of a Supervisor’s term of office, or every four years even if there is not a change in the Supervisor/Treasurer.
The Election Year is deemed the 4th year for all Townships.
Therefore, the following motion was presented:
1. MOTION to hire Willock Warning & Co., P.C. to complete a full audit of Hollis Township & Road District Accounts as well as complete the required Illinois State Comptroller’s Report and the GASB Reports for fiscal year ended March 31, 2017.
Our last CPA Audit was for fiscal year ended March 31, 2013; the cost at that time was $4,300. There are some variables with regard to the Road District depreciation on equipment and the time involved. Town Fund and Road & Bridge Fund will share the cost 50/50. During the past 10 years, the cost for this full audit has averaged around $4,400.
The audit must be completed and reported no later than September 30, 2017. A date will be set in August for our Auditor, Dave Bauman to be on site to begin our audit.
Motion Bailey; second Murray. The motion passed with all ayes on a roll call vote.
Copies of the 2017 PREVAILING WAGE ORDINANCES & PREVAILING WAGE RATES were made available to Board Members for their review and discussion. The following motions were made:
2. MOTION to adopt the PREVAILING WAGE ORDINANCE NO. 2017 ~ 08 for the Township of Hollis, as of June 29th 2017.
Motion Morrison; second Fengel. The motion passed with all ayes on a roll call vote.
3. MOTION to adopt the PREVAILING WAGE ORDINANCE NO. 2017 ~ 09 for the Road District of Hollis Township, as of June 29th 2017.
Motion Fengel; second Bailey. The motion passed with all ayes on a roll call vote.
Within 30 days after adoption, NOTICE OF PREVAILING WAGE ORDINANCES shall be published in a local newspaper with circulation in Hollis Township. / This year Hollis Township will publish as a combined notice with other townships in Peoria County. The cost of this publication will be borne by the Peoria County Township Officials Association. The notice will list our Township, the Clerk’s name (with verified copy of signature), and the date the ordinance was adopted. / John Dawson, Secretary of the PCTOA will manage the publication. Each year the PCTOA sends an invitation to publish jointly; however, some years the joint publication was untimely due to our adoption date. This year our legal requirement to publish within 30 days will be met. In addition:
Within 15 days after adoption, ORIGINAL, COMPLETE SETS OF EACH PREVAILING WAGE ORDINANCE
(the entire document, including the wage rates) shall be forwarded to the Illinois Department of Labor, Conciliation and Mediation Division, 900 South Spring Street, Springfield, Illinois 62704-2725.
Notes: “PEORIA COUNTY PREVAILING WAGE RATES FOR JUNE 2017” were obtained from the internet by entering only the heading shown here. / THE ORDINANCES were created in our office and may be found in Microsoft Word under “My Documents” as PREV.WAGE ~ TOWN ORD.2017 & PREV.WAGE~ROAD ORD.2017.
4. MOTION to adjourn made by Bailey; second Morrison. The motion passed unanimously with all ayes. The Meeting adjourned at 8:09 P.M.
Cheryl A. Archer, Town Clerk