Road Maintenance

May I plant wildflowers on the right of way (ROW)?

If you plant wildflowers on the right of way near your home, please let the township know so the flowers will not be inadvertently mowed during summer operations. It might be a good idea to post a sign indicating that the area is planted in wildflowers and should not be mowed. Leave a message for the Road Commissioner at 697-6252, including your exact address and a phone number so a confirmation call can be made.

Does the township cut or trim trees in the right of way (ROW)?

The township has responsibility for the ROW along township-maintained roads. On occasion, we may have to trim or cut a tree if drivers' vision could be obstructed or if low hanging branches could pose a problem during a heavy snow or ice storm. Often homeowners are aware of problem trees and take steps to correct their obstruction. When that does not occur, the township will do the cutting back.

If I see illegal dumping, what steps should I take?

If you see the dumping occur, note the license plate number and report it to the county sheriff's office. If you see items that have been dumped that could pose a driving hazard or that is particularly unsightly (for example, a mattress or appliance), call the township office and talk to the road commissioner or a member of the road crew. Or leave a message for the road commissioner if he is not available. In your message, be very specific on the location of the dumping. Thank you for your community involvement.

Are there size requirements for culverts or can I put any size in?

The minimum for new installation of driveways is 15 inches in diameter and 30 feet in length, although some may require a larger diameter culvert. 

The Road District is not responsible for the installation or repair of culverts, although the Road Commissioner does have the authority to require the correct size culvert is being installed. We also require that 10 inches of course material be applied from the edge of the road to the culvert.

Check with the Road Commissioner if you have any questions on what your property requires.

Why do you use a boom mower to cut along the roadsides?

The boom mower is both a labor saving device and a safety tool. The other option is to use chain saws that take much more time and can be dangerous to the operator. We also prefer using the boom mower to the use of herbicides for environmental reasons. The brush and scrub trees that are cut by the mower are potential obstructions to a clear view of the roadway and thus a safety issue for drivers.

Why are some roads sealcoated during the summer and others are not?

The township does not sealcoat all roads each year. Sealcoating is not designed to build up the road bed; it is to keep moisture out and dust minimized. Thus, it is not usually necessary to sealcoat each road each year...once every five to six years is normally adequate. We do check for cracks and deterioration each year, however, and will sealcoat any road that needs it even if it was done the previous year.

Are they any rules about mailboxes?

Have you thought about putting up a mailbox that will stand out from the rest? Have you thought about putting up a mailbox that is indestructible... one that could delay the progression of a tank? There are guidelines from both the Illinois Department of Transportation and the U.S. Post Office that define such things as height and methods of installing mailboxes. In order for your mailbox not to be a hazard to motorists, it must have light weight supports.

The Township

Tax Information

What is the Home Improvement Exemption (HIE)?

This is a property tax exemption that applies to room additions, new garages, new out buildings, new decks, new in-ground pools, etc. These type items will not be taxed for four full years. Who qualifies. Must be owner-occupied property. Must be classified as residential property with the Peoria County Assessor's office. Properties classified as farm may receive this exemption for improvements done to the dwelling only (i.e. outbuildings will not qualify). The exemption is automatically filed by your township assessor.

What is a Deferred Tax Plan?

This is a plan that allows those 65 years of age or older and on fixed incomes, to not pay property taxes annually. Please note that this plan does not exempt them from having to pay property taxes; it simply defers payment. The State of Illinois will actually pay the property taxes due each year. Upon the death of the property owner or sale of the property, the balance of ALL taxes paid by the state must be satisfied out of the property's equity at an interest rate of 6.0 percent.

What is the "Senior/Homestead Exemption?"

This is a property tax exemption that, upon qualification (see next paragraph for who qualifies) will REDUCE the assessed value of your property. Again, it is VERY important to bear in mind that this affects the value ONLY and not necessarily your tax rate or final tax bill.

Who qualifies. Must be owner-occupied property. At least one individual on deed must be 65 years of age within the current tax year. Household income does NOT apply. This is a one-time filing and need not be filed each year.

What is an "Assessment Freeze?"

An "assessment freeze" is a property tax exemption that maintains your assessed value from the previous year. This means upon qualification (see next paragraph for who qualifies) the assessed value of your property on which you are taxed cannot increase. It is VERY important to understand that this, as is the case with ALL exemptions, does not mean your taxes cannot increase. Although the value on which your taxes are calculated is maintained, the tax rate itself may increase which, in turn, increases the amount you are taxed.